Simplifying Alternative Dispute Resolution
A sensible approach. At a reasonable price.
Click here to see how we do it.
News and Events
- March 11, 2013 - ValueSolve neutral Leo Stern will present an "Advanced Mediation Training" program for the American Arbitration Association (AAA) this month in Minnepolis. Stern has been chosen by peers as one of the top lawyers in Minnesota in the practice of alternative dispute resolution (Minnesota Monthly, 2006-2013) and also recognized as such in the Best Lawyers in America (Woodward/White, Inc. 2006-2013) and in the American Lawyer Magazine. Stern also ranked within the First Tier of Law Firms by U.S. News & World Report (2013) in “Best Law Firms” and “Best Lawyers.”
- March 10, 2013 - ValueSolve panel mameber Patrick Burns will present a CLE on legal fee arbitration for the Minnesota Bar Association Alternative Dispute Resolution Section on March 12, 2013.
- February 12, 2013 - Panel member David Allgeyer presented the program “Purchasing Law: Structuring and Negotiating the Deal” for a Lorman Nationwide Audiocast. As a neutral, Allgeyer has handled arbitrations this past year in areas of patent license dispute, trade secrets claims, computer system claims, law firm breakup disputes, landlord tenant commercial dipsutes and other commercial and intellectual property matters. He has assisted parties as mediator in cases of patent infringement, business break-ups, intellectual property and general commercial claims.
- February 11, 2013 - ValueSolve panel member Joseph Daly presented to a Hamline University labor law class on "Skills Needed for Labor Arbitration Advocacy." In the recent months Daly has had arbitration hearings in various parts of the country including Anchorage, Milwaukee and Kansas City.
- January 10, 2013 - ValueSolve panel member David Allgeyer presented a CLE titled “Drafting the Dispute Resolution Clause” as part of a seminar on Negotiation and Drafting Contracts in Minnesota for Minnesota CLE.
- January 8, 2013 - ValueSolve panel members Linda Mealey-Lohmann and Patrick Burns were named members of the National Academy of Distinguished Neutrals (NADN) and the Minnesota Academy of Mediators & Arbitrators, a new chapter of the NADN. Patrick Burns was appointed to the executive committee of the new Minnesota chapter.
- December 20, 2012 - panel member Joseph Daly was recently a co-presenter on a National Business Institute nationwide webinair CLE titled "Practical Psychology and the Trial Attorney."
- October 26, 2012 - panel members David Allgeyer and Linda Mealey-Lohmann presented a program at the MNCLE & MSBA Annual ADR Institute on “Arbitration: Hot Topics & Practice Tips for Advocates and Arbitrators.”
- October 15, 2012 - panel member Linda Mealey-Lohmann presented a webcast program for MN CLE on "Workplace Conflict Facilitation.
- September 23, 2012 - panel member David Allgeyer presented a program at the 2011 Midwest Intellectual Property Institute in Minneapolis on “Top IP Issues in Contracts.”
- September 19, 2012 - panel member Linda Mealey-Lohmann taught "Comparative Negotiation and Dispute Resolution" in London at BPP Law School through William Mitchell College of Law this past summer.
- September 13, 2012 - Three ValueSolve panel members presented a webcast CLE for Minnesota CLE today. Leo Stern, Patrick Burns and David Allgeyer updated the Bar on recent developments in arbitration over the past year during a one-hour presentation titled: New Law Series: Federal Arbitration Update and Trends.
- June 25, 2012 - panel member David Allgeyer presented a West Publishing Webcast on Terms and Conditions in Sales Contracts, together with Steven Kelley, General Counsel for Nilfisk-Advance, North America.
- May 4, 2012 - This month, ValueSolve panel member Joseph Daly traveled to Uruguay to teach "International Trade Law" at the University of Montevideo; ValueSolve panel member David Allgeyer will present a program titled “Arbitration From A to Zed” via webcast to the Minnesota Chapter of the Association of Corporate Counsel; ValueSolve panel member Patrick Burns will present a noon webcast for Minnesota CLE on May 18 titled "What's So Funny About Peace, Love and Alternative Dispute Resolution Done Ethically?"
- May 3, 2012 - ValueSolve panel member Linda Mealey-Lohmann presented a Minnesota CLE Webcast titled, "New Lawyer Series: Beginning Civil Mediation Advocacy - Know What to Expect and How to Get the Most from the Process."
- April 18, 2012 - ValueSolve panel member David Allgeyer presented “Dispute Resolution Language in the Contract” as part of a Minnesota CLE program titled, “How to Review and Draft Contracts.”
- February 16, 2012 - On February 10, 2012, ValueSolve panel member Patrick Burns participated as a panelist on a CLE program at the 2012 Public Sector Labor & Employment Law Seminar titled "Has Arbitration Become More Like Litigation in Minnesota? A Discussion of the Revised Uniform Arbitration Act."
- February 8, 2012 - Tomorrow, ValueSolve panel members David Allgeyer and Patrick Burns will speak to the Minnesota State Bar Assocation New Lawyers Section about "Mediation and Arbitration In Practice – Best Practices and Basics for New Lawyers."
- January 19, 2012 - ValueSolve panel member Linda Mealey-Lohmann recently presented, "The American Legal System and Law School System," at Beijing Technology and Business University's Law School in Beijing, China.
- January 17, 2012 - ValueSolve panel member Linda Mealey-Lohmann has been selected to co-teach Comparative Negotiation and Dispute Resolution: Tackling Cross Cultural Disputes for 2 weeks in London this coming July as an adjunct faculty member of the William Mitchell College of Law.
- November 7, 2011 - ValueSolve panel member Patrick Burns has joined Minneapolis law firm of Lindquist + Vennum PLLP as a partner.
- November 1, 2011 - ValueSolve ADR and Minnesota's 4th Judicial District Court (Hennepin County) are partnering on a Flat Fee Mediation Pilot Program that will allow parties to civil lawsuits access to mediators willing to help resolve disputes at a flat rate of $1,000 per case ($500 per party).
- October 2011 - David Allgeyer chaired a panel discussion titled “What Lawyers Love and Hate about Mediators and Arbitrators” at Minnesota CLE’s October 2011 Alternative Dispute Resolution Institute. He also recently addressed the Advanced Contract Issues for In-House Counsel Minnesota CLE program on “Representations, Warranties, Remedies and Related Peccadilloes.” David is scheduled to Chair the Minnesota CLE presentation on “Intellectual Property Issues in Corporate Issues in Contracts” in January of 2012.
- October 4, 2011 - ValueSolve panel member Linda Mealey-Lohmann is presenting a MN CLE Webcast titled, "Employment Law: Effective Advocacy in Mediation & Arbitration - Diverging Paths" at noon on October 10, 2011.
- September 30, 2011 - ValueSolve is pleased to announce the addition of Linda Mealey-Lohmann to its distinguished panel of neutrals. Linda has extensive mediation and ADR experience as a mediator, lawyer and adjunct professor of law. She is a co-author of The Minnesota ADR Handbook: A Guide to Mediation, Arbitration, and Other Processes for Advocates and Neutrals (Minnesota CLE 2011). Linda is a member of several mediation panels – serving as a contract mediator for the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission Early Mediation Program (since 2004) and the U.S. Postal Service REDRESS Transformative Mediation Program (since 2007), and as a volunteer mediator for the Minnesota Department of Human Rights, the Minneapolis Department of Civil Rights, the St. Paul Better Business Bureau, the Washington County and Ramsey County Conciliation Courts.
- September 16, 2011 - ValueSolve neutrals Leo Stern and David Allgeyer have been included in the 2011 - 2012 edition of Best Lawyers in America.
- September 11, 2011 - The 14th Annual Minnesota ADR Institute will be held on October 14 and 15 in Minneapolis. As the chair of the Minnesota State Bar Association's ADR Section, ValueSolve neutral Patrick Burns is the "course chair" for this year's ADR Institute. ValueSolve neutrals Joe Daly and David Allgeyer are presenters at this year's Institute. Joe Daly will present the "2011 Arbitration Update" and David Allgeyer is moderating a panel discussion titled "What Lawyers Love and Hate about Mediators and Arbitrators." Patrick Burns will moderate a panel discussion about "New Directions, Issues and Opportunities in Minnesota ADR." Linda Mealey-Lohmann was part of the 2011 ADR Institute Planning Committee and will be presenting a lunch session titled, "Top Ten Mistakes you Don't Want to Make in ADR."
- August 18, 2011 - U.S. News - Best Lawyers in America recently named Stern Law Office to its 2011-2012 list of Minneapolis "First-Tier" law firm rankings for arbitration. ValueSolve neutral Leo Stern is the owner of Stern Law Office.
- August 11, 2011 - On September 14, 2011, ValueSolve neutrals David Allgeyer, Patrick Burns and Leo Stern will present a CLE titled "New Law: The Supreme Court’s Unprecedented Interest in Arbitration," in conjunction with Minnesota CLE. The CLE is being offered via webcast.
- July 21, 2011 - David Allgeyer is included in the latest listing of Top 100 Super Lawyers in Minnesota in the 2011 Minnesota edition of Super Lawyers magazine.
- July 1, 2011 - Patrick Burns has been elected as chair of the Minnesota State Bar Association’s 400+ member ADR Section. He will serve in this capacity in 2011 and 2012.
- April 20, 2011 - Patrick Burns was recently recognized as an International Mediation Institute (IMI) Certified Mediator. "IMI is a non-profit Foundation and registered charity established in 2007 as a global public service initiative to drive transparency and high competency standards into mediation practice across all fields, worldwide." There are currently only three IMI Certified mediators in Minnesota and 373 IMI Certified Mediators worldwide.
- April 14, 2011 - A new book titled "The Minnesota ADR Handbook" will be published by Minnesota CLE this month. It is written for legal advocates and ADR neutrals, and will serve as a singular resource on ADR in Minnesota. On April 26, 2011, Patrick Burns will present with a panel discussing ADR ethics at the Minnesota CLE Center in Minneapolis. The CLE will be a launch course for the new ADR Handbook.
- April 2, 2011 - ValueSolve panel members Patrick Burns, Leo Stern, David Allgeyer and Joseph Daly will present a series of three one-hour CLE webcasts on mediation on April 11, May 9 and June 20 in conjunction with Minnesota CLE. The series will cover the law of mediation, inluding the confidentiality statute, requirements of the mediation statute, Minnesota Rule 114, and a legal update on recent cases. There will also be a session on effective advocacy when assisting clients in preparing for mediation, and tips for working with clients, opposing counsel and a mediator at a mediation session.
- February 14, 2011 - Minnesota Lawyer featured ValueSolve ADR as a "Legal Innovator" in its February 11, 2011 on-line edition and February 14, 2011 print edition: "ValueSolve ADR is Bringing the Flat-Fee Model to Mediation."
- February 11, 2011 - Leo Stern recently taught a seminar for The Conflict Resolution Center. The program, titled "Becoming an MPHA Hearing Officer: An Introduction to Arbitration," was approved for 4.25 CLE hours in Minnesota.
- February 10, 2011 - ValueSolve panel members Patrick Burns, Leo Stern, David Allgeyer and Joseph Daly will present a series of three one-hour CLE webcasts on mediation on April 11, May 9 and June 20 in conjunction with Minnesota CLE. The series will cover the law of mediation, inluding the confidentiality statute, requirements of the mediation statute, Minnesota Rule 114, and a legal update on recent cases. There will also be a session on effective advocacy when assisting clients in preparing for mediation, and tips for working with clients, opposing counsel and a mediator at a mediation session.
- January 20, 2011 - A new book titled "The Minnesota ADR Handbook" will be published by Minnesota CLE in March. It is written for legal advocates and ADR neutrals, and will serve as a singular resource on ADR in Minnesota. On April 26, 2011, Patrick Burns will present with a panel discussing ADR ethics at the Minnesota CLE Center in Minneapolis. The CLE will be a launch course for the new ADR Handbook.
January 6, 2011 - David Allgeyer and Patrick Burns are both serving as vice-chairs of the Minnesota State Bar Association's ADR Section Council through May of 2011. David Allgeyer served as Chair of the ADR Section in 2008 - 2009. The MSBA ADR Section has over 300 lawyer and non-lawyer members and presents monthly lunch CLEs that are open to the public.
- December 14, 2010 - Joseph Daly presented a CLE titled "An Arbitrator's Thoughts on Effective Advocacy in Arbitration" to the Minnesota State Bar Association's ADR Section. Over 85 lawyers attended the program.
- December 14, 2010 - Patrick Burns and David Allgeyer served as faculty for Minnesota CLE's annual "Certified Civil Arbitration Training" held in Minneapolis. The course qualifies attendees for inclusion on the State of Minnesota's Rule 114 ADR roster.
- December 3, 2010 - Leo Stern served as the faculty trainer for the American Arbitration Association's commercial arbitration (ACE) half day course titled "Chairing an Arbitration Panel: Managing Procedures, Process & Dynamics" held at the AAA's Minneapolis office. A round table discussion followed, which focused on providing increasingly efficient and effective ADR services.
- December 2, 2010 - Joseph Daly presented a one day seminar at the American Arbitration Association's Minneapolis office titled "Road to Success in Labor Arbitration: How to Be a More Effective and Efficient Advocate." The AAA sponsored program was attended by union and management representatives and lawyers.
- November 30, 2010 - David Allgeyer was recently recognized by Chief Judge Michael J. Davis during his State of the District address to the Minnesota Chapter of the Federal Bar Association. Chief Judge Davis presented the first annual Pro Se Project awards to those individuals that exhibited outstanding service, commitment, and contribution to the Pro Se Project. David Allgeyer was recognized for "agreeing to serve as mediator in an unpopular case where a Pro Se Project litigant sued a major law firm. Allgeyer’s service as mediator enabled the Pro Se Project to find an attorney to represent Plaintiff for settlement purposes. Allgeyer also accepted a Pro Se Project case involving a difficult student loan issue and provided excellent legal representation."
- November 25, 2010 - Joseph Daly was recently selected to be a "Fulbright Senior Specialist" at the University of Montevideo, Uruguay. Professor Daly will spend two weeks in February of 2011 teaching government lawyers, civil practitioners and law students about international arbitration and arbitration skills. Philip Morris International (PMI) recently filed a request for arbitration with the International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID) in an historic action against the Republic of Uruguay under the Swiss-Uruguay Bi-Lateral Investment Treaty (BIT) due to restrictions imposed by the Uruguayan Government on the sales of cigarettes and tobacco. The University of Montevideo sought Professor Daly's assistance in training lawyers to work on this matter of national importance. While there, Professor Daly will also analyze and advise the University of Montevideo on its U.S. Law Program used to teach its students how the American legal system operates.
|Patrick R. Burns • Leo G. Stern • David A. Allgeyer • Joseph L. Daly • Linda Mealey-Lohmann|